Friday, July 15, 2011

Carmaggedon, Soccer-Style

Carmaggedon time has arrived.

In case you don't live anywhere near Southern California, Carmaggedon is the name being thrown around to describe the closure of a 10-mile stretch of the 405 freeway. Luckily, I hardly ever have to drive on the 405, which one person described a while back as "hell reincarnated."

Unfortunately, Carmaggedon has indeed been on my mind, dominating my thoughts of late. The 405 Freeway will shut down from the 10 to 101 freeways. I will have to drive out (at least partially) on the 10 in order to get to the LA Coliseum.

Have I ever mentioned how much I loathe the Coliseum? It's a dump of a stadium and if I never have to go there again, I will not be disappointed. Unfortunately, the Galaxy and Real Madrid thought it wise to play a game there and so I must attend.

Carmaggedon is just another reason this game is a bad idea. I know, I know, this game draws a lot of money, it gives people here the chance to see stars like Cristiano Ronaldo, Iker Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Xabi Alonso, Mesut Ozil, etc. play, a chance they don't normally have. It's supposedly good for the game and could help the Galaxy win over some new fans.

Right.

Except that this game takes away the focus from what really matters, the regular season, the chase for the playoffs and Supporters' Shield, and the upcoming CONCACAF Champions League. Winning or losing against Real Madrid does not matter but the extra fatigue players exert, possible injuries players could suffer or a possible loss of rhythm.

But the teams deem it important and thus I have to go cover it.

In all honesty, I would rather be at Home Depot Center, in my usual Saturday-night perch. There, Chivas USA will be playing against New York Red Bulls in a match that really matters. New York will try to avenge an earlier loss to Chivas. Thierry Henry and Rafa Marquez will try to help New York finally snap out of their months-long slump while Chivas could use the momentum brought on by another victory over New York.

Alas, I won't be there to take it in. I'll be at the Coliseum. At least, I will be if I survive Carmaggedon.

1 comment:

A.C. said...

I'll be there, too! Carmaggedon survivors, unite!