Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Different perspectives

I was stating to Luis in the pressbox early on during this weekend's Galaxy game that it seemed like Edson Buddle just wasn't chasing down balls or really charging on runs.

Turns out that he had a reason - Edson was nursing a bad hammy in that match.

No, he didn't tell me about it - it was Joe Cannon.

"I know that Edson, right before on a corner kick, was telling me that his hammy was kind of hurting. He felt it a little bit. He was telling me, ‘Man, my hammy is sore.’ When he scored, he probably thought he should get out of there. He probably pulled something. It is what it is. Hopefully, we’ll have enough subs for that. We need players. We already have seven guys out and with our backs to the wall, we need all the help we can get."

Frank Yallop chimes in: "It bugs me when people say that the guys aren’t trying. The guys are just shattered, tired and it looks like not trying. Whatever happens, happens. I can hold my head high and I try to hold it together for these guys, so that they don’t get affected by it. I never single them out or start blaming, because they’ve tried."

Kyle Martino: "We’ve had a lot of tired legs. I’ve been in the league six years and I’ve never been this tired. I’ve walked out on the field before a game and felt like I just finished a game. You feel terrible. Your legs are tired and strained. You have to find a way to get through it. Tonight proves the obvious point that we’ve been trying to make, that our schedule has been ridiculous. We finally got some rest and good results show up. We finally outplayed a team physically. For the entire game, we were the dominant team when it came to second balls, covering on defense – everyone was doing what we are capable of doing, but haven’t been, not because we don’t have the heart, or because of commitment, but because your body gives out on you. There’s only so much you can ask of it, before it starts to tell you that you can’t do it anymore. Unfortunately, injuries have told some players that they can’t go on, but some players are getting told that in games. So they’re just trying to maintain, trying to go 90 minutes and do whatever they can to help the team. It’s hard knowing that there really isn’t anyone behind me with fit legs that can come on that has rested."

1 comment:

JT Soccer said...

You see this with all MLS clubs but it's pretty obvious that it's at its most extreme with the Galaxy. MLS needs to address this issue. They need to expand these rosters (and budgets), honor designated international breaks and start treating the players like valued employees instead of disposable cogs in the big machine.

MLS, the "product" suffers when you run it into the ground.