Thursday, August 2, 2007

Throat slash

Landon Donovan seemingly sealed the game at FC Dallas with a late goal (it didn't turn out to be the game-winner, though it gave the Galaxy a 5-3 lead) and afterward he taunted the home fans. He put his finger over his lips to shush the crowd and then did a throat-slashing gesture to put a stamp on his goal.

I asked him if he would repeat the gesture if he were to score the game-winning goal against Mexico in Azteca on Sept. 9.

He laughed initially, then said "I might not come back alive so probably not. I think I learned my lesson. I probably won't do it again."

I also asked him about his initial thoughts on the match.

"We're to the point now where we should start expecting to do better there, not expecting to lose the game or pray that we get a tie. We should start expecting that we're good enough to (win) and it'll be a good time to show it. It'll be fun. A lot of fun."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I might not come back alive so probably not."

Didn't think so...take that AC:-)!

Unknown said...

Not being a fan of either Mexico or the US, I really don't see that a gesture like that is an issue. If he were to do that against my team however, I'd certainly hurl insults in his general direction, but it wouldn't mean that I respect him less. Taunting is a part of soccer, make no mistake.

In a bar, packed with Columbians in 2001, at the end of the qualifiers, as Uruguay and Argentina were ending their "arranged" 1-1 tie, the entire Argentine contingent started to sing the "Un minuto de silencio..." taunt to Columbia. There's no need to fear retribution.

It's just in good fun, that's all.

blahblah said...

alejandro - I agree! I don't understand what the big deal with Donovan's taunt is at all. I say its all part of the game!

gvw said...

I don't see anything wrong with it since it was directed towards the Dallas fans as a whole and not one person directly, plus I'm sure he got caught up in the moment with emotions running high! It was a nice goal :)