Saturday, June 23, 2007

Speaking of deflections

And speaking of reporters missing something, here's Luis Arroyave's story of getting hit full-on by a Mexican shot at practice and no one noticing.

Actually, this happened to me once (I'm sure a lot of Canadian soccer fans just thought, "Good!"), but it was during a preseason game and I was actually watching the play. Unfortunately, the player that wound up to take the shot was off target for the net, but the trajectory was locked on me. I'd made the mistake of sitting cross-legged to watch the match, and it's hard to be agile and move out of the way from that position. All I could to was turn my head away and hunch my shoulder to take the brunt of the shot. Bruise city.

However, it doesn't surprise me that in Arroyave's story Oswaldo Sanchez came over to ask about the female reporter. Whatever his actions on the field, he's one of the most polite players off the field.

No comments: