Friday, June 22, 2007

On to the final

My SI.com reaction piece on the Mexico win... I've already had a few responses this morning.

Overall, I feel Mexico has been slowly improving. They do have three straight shutouts now as all the wins have been by 1-0.

I think they still have issues. Their offense is not quite generating an abundance of scoring chances and I don't think the four-man backline lends itself to that, at least not with them. When you have four defenders (Salcido-Magallon-Maza-Osorio) plus Pavel Pardo and Gerardo Torrado in the midfield, those are six defensive-minded players. And then where is your offense supposed to come from?

I realize Pardo scored the goal yesterday but aside from a few through balls - and of course his goal - he didn't really create a lot for his teammates.

Torrado is out for Sunday so that midfield pairing won't be repeated in the final. I think you slide Cuauhtemoc Blanco back and start Nery Castillo up top with Jared Borgetti. That's probably their best option but who knows. We could see Jaime Lozano in there.

No comments: