Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Cien por ciento


All or nothing. I saw this Chivas logo on this vehicle on my way to the game today. This is a little of downtown LA, by the way. My theory is that the tradition of Chivas in Mexico appeals to so many people because it's such an established tradition that they have never fielded a non-Mexican player. It's black and white, that custom. It's a point of pride for many fans.

Whereas Chivas USA is - well, definitely different. It's kind-of-sorta Mexican, not pure, not one-hundred percent. I'm not sure the team has established the appeal of that yet.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Slow news day? Tell us something we already don't know.

J.S. said...

Are they Chivas or USA? CUSA has a major identity crisis. For that reason alone, they will always be the Clippers to the Galaxy-Lakers paradigm.
Cue and Vergara are clueless about marketing and promoting this team. consider the following questions:
1-Why are there no English broadcasts of the games?
2-Almost no money has been spent on new player aquisitions? Why?
3-Have they really considered the effect Beckham will have on this team? Fans will wonder, "who do we get?"
4-Who'll replace Razov and Marsch in the future?
5-Future home stadium?

Anonymous said...

Umm, I'm a Galaxy fan and even I know they have English broadcasts of their games. What are you tlaking about j.s?

J.S. said...

The are no English broadcast partners for Chivas USA. KTNQ 1020am is all there is and those guys suck a$$. They spend more time talking about the mothership in Guadalajara. The CUSA indifference regarding their product is what gets me going.

So much potential. So little effort to improve.

Anonymous said...

J.S. you're very ignorant..Chivas usa has a partnership deal to broadcast games *IN ENGLISH* on FSN-WEST. Enjoy the game.

J.S. said...

Ignorant? I think I'm being misunderstood. Yes, CUSA games on FSN-West, my bad for not being clearer. I was referring to radio (not TV) broadcasts only. CUSA games are only available in spanish on 1020am. My complaint is that those guys on the radio are homers (for guadalajara) and basically dismiss CUSA and MLS as whole. That's all.