Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Back in the day

Landon Donovan started the Open Cup match on the bench for the Galaxy, but his inclusion in the match made a big difference. His energy was partly a result of pent-up anticipation while waiting on the sidelines.

"It goes back a long way," said Landon. "When I was in elementary school, I got in trouble at school. That weekend, I was supposed to be playing against my best friend in AYSO. My mom took me to the game and didn't let me play. She made me sit there and watch. Frank's done it about once a year - when I'm not playing well enough. He'll sit me, then bring me in. Sitting there watching is so hard. I'll see things and think, 'I could have done this, or I'd have done this.' It's good for me to just keep me going and keep me fresh and to never take anything for granted."

"Coming into this game was great. If I had started the game, then maybe I wouldn't have the energy, on the third goal, to get there. Coming into this game was fun. Ten on ten on that field is fun for me."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

10 on 10 is Landon Donovan soccer.

Heck, the US played it's best soccer of the WC when they were down to 10 and 9 players against Italy.

It gave Donovan the space to just run around everywhere like a maniac. I don't think I've ever seen him get tired during a game either.